Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How Motherhood has changed me.

A few weekends ago I was trying to figure out an activity for the kids to keep them out of my hair while I cleaned the house. They helped pick up toys and did chores fitting for their age, but I still needed space. Averie is quite content to park her butt in a chair front of the TV and zone out to Disney Channel... Carson will do no such thing (nor do I want him to). Regardless of Averie's willingness I still feel guilty letting her watch so much TV. So, I pulled up two stools to the kitchen sink, filled each side of the sink with soapy, bubbly water and threw in some kitchen gadgets. The kids were delighted to splash and play in the sink and it certainly kept them busy. It made me think back to the first time I'd heard of this idea. Years ago, before Averie and Carson were born a friend told me about some of the ways her friend kept her kids occupied - one of these ways was to fill the kitchen sink and let them slosh around. I was appalled! Surely there are better ways to keep your children busy... doesn't this just cause more work for the parent to have to clean the inevitable bubbles and change soggy clothes??? Oh, how things have changed since having kids! This made me think of the many ways Motherhood has changed me and I thought it would be fun to share just some of the ways (in no particular order).

  • Unconditional love.
  • Fierce Mama Bear instincts.
  • Fingerprints on everything and no burning drive to clean them immediately.
  • Letting my kids "cook" with me by giving them a bowl of flour to "stir" and not caring at all when half the kitchen is covered in flour.
  • Becoming "that" Mom in the grocery store who gives in to their whiny child just to get them to be quiet.
  • Allowing my kids (particularly Averie) to watch more than the recommended 30 minutes (or less) of TV per day - and on a really bad day letting her watch for hours on end in her jammies.
  • Ability to do almost anything with a squiggly baby or toddler or child in my arms or on my lap (doing it now).
  • Not batting an eye when my kids drop food on the floor then pick it up and eat it.
  • Ability to love, kiss and snuggle a snotty, stinky, dirty child without any hesitation.
  • Having the "worst day ever" melt away when I'm greeted at the door with the most innocent, happy children who are thrilled beyond words to see me.
  • Bursting with joy when my child says, reads or learns something new and bragging that my child is the "smartest kid ever".
  • Daily trial of patience.

My kids are my pride and joy. Every night before I go to bed I marvel at how much I love them and pray that God will watch over them. They test my patience daily and they make me the best mother I can be!

No comments: