Friday, July 17, 2009

Summertime...

As you can probably tell by the re-design of our blog... I'm totally in a summery mood! It's hard to get into the swing of summer when you work full-time, but we try to take full advantage of the weekends.

If you're anything like me, you may skim through the text on a blog and look for the pictures. For those of you, I apologize, this blog is heavy on the text. I haven't taken many recent pictures. The few I have taken are still locked away in the camera waiting patiently for me to upload them. Until then, this post contains one, ugly, lonely, grainy picture (thanks to Justin's phone). We had a run-in with wire cutters. Carson got a hold of them and when Justin tried to take them away, Carson clamped Justin's finger. The result... a frantic call from Averie, "Mommy, come home VERY quickly!", four hours in urgent care, and four stitches. As badly as I felt for Justin I couldn't help but be thankful that it wasn't Carson. His sweet little toddler fingers might not have fared as well.

Aside from the stitches incident, our summer has been fairly low key.
We got season passes to Carowinds (a local amusement park) and have spent a number of days there to ride the rides or lounge at the water-park. Averie and Carson are little dare-devils. Averie has ridden on every ride that her height allows, including some pretty fun roller coasters. If only she were two inches taller, she could ride ALL of the thrill rides. Carson LOVES the toddler pool, where he goes down the little water slide, head first, over and over and over. The kids love Carowinds, but Justin and I have had our share. We've definitely gotten our $$$ worth out of the passes and I think Justin wouldn't care if we never went back. But I'm sure there will be many more days that we will brave the miserable (humid) heat, long lines and obnoxious people to have "fun" at the amusement park.
We've been going to a local park a couple times a week where we walk a couple laps around the trail, then let the kids play on the playground. Then Justin had a "great" idea... We can use this time to get in shape. We will alternate one of us jogging a lap around the 1/2 mile trail while the other walks with the kids, then when the jogger catches up to the walker we switch. Seemed to me like it would be a piece of cake. So, after a warm-up lap, we started off and I jogged first with Sadie in tow. One lap down, I can't see them so I figure I'll walk a bit to catch my breath... Two laps, they're still not in my sight, I feel like I might pass out... Two and a half laps, I see them, but I swear Justin is walking at lightning speed, how can I ever catch up with him? My legs feel like rubber and I'm afraid that if I go any faster I might trip and fall. Driven by my deep desire to be done with this misery, I sprint the last little bit and catch him. It took one full lap of walking for my heart to slow down enough before I could be certain that it wouldn't thump out of my chest. Needless to say, I'm out of shape! Justin didn't do so badly. I like to think that maybe since I jogged first, I was completely worn out and walked at a slower pace so he didn't have as many laps to catch me. Anyway, it's a good family activity and the kids enjoy it.
Justin has pulled out the bikes and bike trailer and cleaned them up. Last night I took Carson and Averie for a quick ride around the block (Carson in the trailer and Averie leading on her bike) just to make sure the tires stayed pumped and Averie could ride at a reasonable speed. Hopefully we can get some nice bike-rides in through the rest of the summer.
That's the update for the month. I vow to take more pictures so the next blog is more interesting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You might be surprised to hear this, but I too have had that heart about to jump out of you chest, on the verge of vomit, God please take me now feeling. I don't understand people who get addicted to running...they crazy!!(you have to drag out the "a" in crazy)